The main purpose of the digital government’s concept is to prioritize the needs of the citizens through modern technologies, to create new services, to upgrade existing services and to implement targeted information strategies. Numerous projects created with the concept of digital government work on the principle of resource saving for both organizations (both public and private) and citizens. This creates positive results in both speed and quality of services, as well as uninterrupted service.
Transferring civilian services to the digital environment ensures more accessibility and fast operation of these services. The period of transferring services to digital media is called "Digital Transformation". At present, activities are expanding both in the public and private sectors. In recent years, projects in social, banking, finance, transport, agrarian and other fields are examples of "Digital Transformation".
Some advantages of the digital government concept:
• better understand citizens and their needs, thereby expanding the scope of services;
• Apply individual approach to services;
• Ensure that the services are more efficient;
• Find solutions to challenges in the service sector;
• Strengthen public-private partnerships;
• Expand the scope of international practice;
• Prepare new models for projects in different fields, etc.
In the current "digital transformation", digital services are created, physical and electronic services are shifted to a digital environment. Generally, the digital government is divided into five development periods:
1. The period of transition of paper-based services to the electronic environment
2. Period of One-stop shop “Reactive Services”
3. Period of Proactive Services
4. Period of Non-Stop Shop and New Technologies
1. The period of transition of paper-based services to the electronic environment This period covers 2003-2013 in our country, has been completed with the creation of electronic information systems and transferring data collected on papers to the electronic environment.
2. Period of One-stop shop “Reactive Services” During this period, eServices were created through transmitted data from an electronic environment. E-government services, payment services, electronic services of banks are the main products of this period. The period of “Reactive services”, which began in 2013, was completed in 2019 and became the transition to “Proactive services”, accordingly the beginning of Digital Transformation.
3. Period of Proactive Services The period of 2019-2020 is marked with upgrading existing digital projects and initiating new ones. One of the main goals of this era is to combine many functions for a single portal with the use of the latest technological advantages. Digital projects that are currently being upgraded and created are products of this era. As the first project in the field of public services, we can see the myGov project. From private services, we can distinguish software applications based on banking.
4. Period of Non-Stop Shop and Big Data
Expanding the framework in this direction on the basis of self-justification of conducted work and the spread of digital transformation into all possible areas begins in 2020 and will continue until 2025. The use of Machine Learning, Artificial Intelligence, and Deep Learning in this period supports development in many areas, which emerged as the development of new services and national IT products.